What causes a CSR?
The exact cause of CSR is unknown. The condition is more common in men between the ages of 30-55, but may occur in anyone. CSR has been associated with high levels of cortisol and corticosteriod levels. Cortisol is a hormone that the body produces to help deal with stress. Corticosteroids are medications that are commonly used to treat inflammation.
CSR occurs when fluid leaks from the choroid layer beneath the retina and builds up. The fluid leakage in the macula produces symptoms, including blurred vision. The condition is usually temporary and most frequently occurs in just one eye.
What are the symptoms of CSR?
Many patients first notice a minor blurring of vision, followed by various degrees of:
• Metamorphopsia (defective, distorted vision)
• Micropsia (distorted visual perception in which objects appear smaller than their actual size)
• Chromatopsia (visual defect in which objects appear unnaturally colored)
• Central Scotoma
• Increasing Hyperopia (farsightedness)
How is CSR diagnosed?
Three of the tests we utilize to diagnose for central serous retinopathy are:
• Fluorescein Angiography:This valuable test, which uses a type of dye called fluorescein and a special camera, provides information about the circulatory system and the condition of the back of the eye. It is one of the tests which allows us to evaluate ocular blood flow.
• OCT (Ocular Coherence Tomography): 3-D images of the retina, nerve fiber layer and optic disc are provided by scanning laser technology.
• Ophthalmoscopy: Using an instrument known as in indirect ophthalmoscope, a binocular stereoscopic headset, we are able to obtain a wide-field view of the vitreous (the transparent gel-like substance filling the center cavity of the eye) and the retina. A light source from the instrument is directed into the patient's eye by an adjustable mirror. The reflected light is gathered by a specialized lens to provide a virtual inverted image of the retina, contributing to diagnosis.
How is a macular hole treated?
Most cases of CSR resolve without treatment in a few months. However, the condition can return. People with cases that last longer than a few months, severe leakage, or severe vision loss may benefit from laser treatment. The laser treatment can seal and stop the leakage. It you take steroid medication and develop CSR, you should discuss the possibility of discontinuing the medication with your doctor. You should not discontinue taking steroid medication on your own.